I couldn’t believe it…..I was having the same issues as my husband who is 17 years older. Charlie horses and cramps. I knew that I could not leave fruits out of my diet, and it went from once a month to once a week to every day. Okay. watermelon works, and apples work, what happens when you get tired of those, and want something that will work like magic? Dried cherries. Yes everyone has talked about the marvelous cherry. Acerola cherry, black cherry any cherry as far as I am concerned when it comes to relieving those cramps. High in potassium and other phyto nutrients to make the strain go away.
Health benefits of cherry fruit from Nutrition-and-You.com
- Cherries are one of the very low calorie fruits; yet are rich source of nutrients, vitamins, and minerals. Both sweet as well as tart Cherries are packed with numerous health benefiting compounds that are essential for wellbeing.
- Cherries are pigment rich fruits. These pigments are in fact polyphenolic flavonoid compounds known as anthocyanin glycosides. Anthocyanins are red, purple or blue pigments found in many fruits and vegetables, especially concentrated in their skin, known to have powerful anti-oxidant properties.
- Scientific studies have shown that anthocyanins in the cherries are found to act like anti-inflammatory agents by blocking the actions of cycloxygenase-1 and 2 enzymes. Thus consumption of cherries has potential health effects against chronic painful episodes such as gout arthritis, fibromyalgia (painful muscle condition) and sports injuries.
- Research studies also suggest that tart cherries are help body to fight against cancers, aging and neurological diseases and pre-diabetes.
- Cherry fruits are very rich in stable anti-oxidant melatonin. Melatonin can cross the blood-brain barrier easily and produces soothing effects on the brain neurons, calming down nervous system irritability, which helps relieve neurosis, insomnia and headache conditions.
- They are also good source of minerals such as potassium, iron, zinc, copper and manganese. Potassium is a heart-healthy mineral; an important component of cell and body fluids that regulate heart rate and blood pressure.
- The fruits, especially tart cherries are exceptionally rich in many health promoting flavonoid poly phenolic anti-oxidants such as lutein, zeaxanthin and beta carotene. These compounds act as protective scavengers against harmful free radicals and reactive oxygen species (ROS) that play a role in aging, cancers and various disease processes.
- Anti-inflammatory property of cherries has been found effective in reducing heart disease risk factors by scavenging action against free radicals.
You can have your own cramp buster here find your solution in a small compact fruit or here (I think you have to buy 12 packs at once… or you can peruse Amazon for a plethora of choices) When you only want one, you may want to try some other things, and get free shipping for $89.00 or more. I love Mariani, as I have also used Aldi’s and Trader Joes. They are not less expensive, and you have to watch out for sulfites. Sulfites as a preservative can cause stomach and gas issues.
Also Cherries are on the highly beneficial list of 3 of the 4 blood types. and a neutral for only blood type B